We compiled data from dozens of reports to create our “Why Become a Conscious Business” infographic, which appeared in the September/October 2017 issue of Conscious Company magazine. Here’s where you can trace the facts back to the source.
Key to the print version
1. Hill, Patrick L, and Nicholas A Turiano. “Purpose in Life as a Predictor of Mortality Across Adulthood.” Psychological Science 25 (7) 2014: 1482–86. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797614531799.
2. Steffens, Niklas K, S Alexander Haslam, Sebastian C Schuh, Jolanda Jetten, and Rolf van Dick. “A Meta-Analytic Review of Social Identification and Health in Organizational Contexts.” Personality and Social Psychology Review http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1088868316656701.
3. Cone Communications. “2016 Millennial Employee Engagement Study.” http://www.conecomm.com/research-blog/2016-millennial-employee-engagement-study
4. Net Impact. “Talent Report: What Workers Want in 2012.” May 2012. https://www.netimpact.org/sites/default/files/documents/what-workers-want-2012.pdf
5. HBR.org org and The Energy Project. “The Human Era at Work.” 2014. https://uli.org/wp-content/uploads/ULI-Documents/The-Human-Era-at-Work.pdf
9. Cone Communications. “2017 Cone Communications CSR Study.” http://www.conecomm.com/research-blog/2017-csr-study
11. Nielson. “Doing Well By Doing Good.” June 2014. http://www.nielsen.com/ca/en/insights/reports/2014/doing-well-by-doing-good.html
13. Unilever & Europanel. “Brand Purpose: Fad or Future?” 2016. https://www.unilever.com/news/press-releases/2017/report-shows-a-third-of-consumers-prefer-sustainable-brands.html
14. Harvard Business Review Analytic Services and EY. “The Business Case for Purpose — A Harvard Business Review Analytic Services Report.” 2015. http://www.ey.com/Publication/vwLUAssets/ey-the-business-case-for-purpose/$FILE/ey-the-business-case-for-purpose.pdf
15. Sisodia, Rajendra, Jagdish N. Sheth, and David Wolfe. Firms of endearment: how world-class companies profit from passion and purpose. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson, 2014.
16. Gallup. “2012 Q12® Meta-Analysis Report.” http://www.gallup.com/businessjournal/163130/employee-engagement-drives-growth.aspx
17. Eccles, Robert, Ioannis Ioannou, and George Serafeim. “The Impact of Corporate Sustainability on Organizational Processes and Performance.” Management Science 60, no. 11 (February 2014): 2835-857. https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1964011
18. Clark, Gordon L., Andreas Feiner, and Michael Viehs. “From the stockholder to the stakeholder: How sustainability can drive financial outperformance.” (2015). https://arabesque.com/research/From_the_stockholder_to_the_stakeholder_web.pdf
19. Rochlin, Steve, Richard Bliss, Stephen Jordan, and Cheryl Yaffe Kiser. “Defining the Competitive and Financial Advantages of Corporate Responsibility and Sustainability.” Project ROI and IO Sustainability (2015). http://projectroi.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Project-ROI-Report.pdf
20. LinkedIn and Imperative. “Purpose at Work, 2016 Global Report.” https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/job-trends/purpose-at-work
21. Mankins, Michael C., and Eric Garton. Time, talent, energy: overcome organizational drag and unleash your teams productive power. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Review Press, 2017.
22. The Energy Project,“The Human Era at Work 2013”
24. CR Magazine. “The Cost of a bad reputation: The impacts of corporate reputation on talent acquisition.” October 2015. http://www.thecro.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Cost-of-a-Bad-Reputation-2015-Final.pdf
25. Palimeris, M. “Engaging employees through corporate responsibility.” Ipsos MORI White Paper (2006). https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/publication/1970-01/loyalty-erm-engaging-employees-through-corporate-responsibility.pdf
26. Michael Porter, “The case for letting business solve social problems.” Filmed 2013, TED Video, 16:28. https://www.ted.com/talks/michael_porter_why_business_can_be_good_at_solving_social_problems
27. Credit Suisse. “Global Wealth Report 2016.” November 2016. http://publications.credit-suisse.com/tasks/render/file/index.cfm?fileid=AD783798-ED07-E8C2-4405996B5B02A32E
28. “Sustainable development goals.” United Nations. Accessed August 08, 2017. http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
Rachel is Conscious Company’s former editor-in-chief. Before joining the CCM team, she worked at Backpacker and Wired magazines.