Thank you for your interest in working for Conscious Company Media. All available positions are listed below.
Position: Editorial Director
Location: Boulder, CO
Conscious Company Media (CCM) is seeking a full-time Editorial Director who will work closely with the CEO to manage the editorial department for CCM, including producing Conscious Company Magazine, managing online content posting, maintaining contributor relationships, and helping build audience and brand awareness. We are seeking an applicant who is a strong editor and content strategist, who can handle complexity, who has a desire to make the world a better place, and who can consciously step into a leadership role in a small, fast-paced startup environment.
Print and Digital Content
- Co-create and develop editorial plan with CEO for each quarterly magazine issue
- Bring creativity and new ideas to the table for new columns, design, and stories
- Solicit stories, interview requests, photos, and all content needed for each story
- Track, organize, and manage the material and production schedule for each issue
- Manage relationships and workflow with our digital editor, transcriptionist, and copy editors
- Develop questions and interview key business leaders for feature stories
- Edit lengthy, raw interview transcripts down to relevant, readable, and engaging copy
- Ability to edit content for AP style, consistency, readability, and editorial tone
- Coordinate with digital editor to edit all online content and co-create and assign original digital content around monthly digital themes
- Participate in design meetings with a detailed, editorial eye to ensure design is consistent and cohesive with story
- Conduct final read through of entire publication from start to finish with impeccable attention to detail
Building Audience & Brand Awareness
- Build relationships with external syndication partners
- Work in tandem with content marketing agency to strengthen overall content strategy and provide necessary content when requested
- Review externally facing CCM materials with an eye for editorial tone and brand alignment
- Create thought leadership pieces in coordination with CEO
Membership & Audience Engagement
- Work with membership team to run surveys to understand what our members truly want to hear about and create content planning around this
- Provide editing to member materials where appropriate
- Collaborate on member newsletters and general newsletters in coordination with membership manager
Required Skills and Experience
- 5 – 7 years professional experience in an editing role at a print or online publisher
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in English or Journalism
- Relevant graduate degree a plus
- Familiarity with AP Style
- Proficiency using Microsoft Word, Google Drive, Adobe InDesign, WordPress, Slack, Asana, and other digital tools
- Strong interest in consciousness, sustainability, and business
- Strong personal commitment to mindfulness, self-awareness, emotional intelligence, and personal growth
- Alignment to practicing the company’s core values: “walk the talk, be authentic, take pride in the product, choose love & joy, practice radical trust, treat people beautifully, stay curious”
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail-oriented approach to writing and editing
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of industry trends, thought-leaders, and rhetoric around sustainable and conscious business
- Confidence and the ability to self-manage and take leadership role when necessary
- Managerial experience with small teams
- Highly motivated with high personal standards for success
- Positive attitude and ability to stay calm under pressure and tight timelines
- High level of self-awareness in the areas of leadership style, time-management, and communication
- Ability to build trust, collaborate, and work effectively with remote teams
- Flexibility and resilience
- Experience working in a startup is a plus
Other Important Things to Consider When Applying For This Role
- This is a full-time salaried role with benefits
- While the position will be based in Boulder, CO, our team typically works remotely and works together in a co-working space (the Impact Hub) a couple of days per week. Read: super flexible schedule, but not a great fit for someone who loves being around their co-workers all the time or gets lonely and needs a lot of direction
- We punch above our weight. We are a small, but mighty team and this requires people on our team to be flexible and jump in when needed — even on projects that might not fall under your day-to-day responsibilities. If you like to “stay in your lane” and you’re not down to lend a helping hand from time to time, this isn’t the role for you.
- We practice what we preach and strive every day to be a holistically conscious company. It makes CCM a great place to work. We rarely ask our team members to work outside of regular business hours and are always open to feedback on how to make working with us better.
- We really, really, really care about what we do. CCM’s products reach thousands of people, many of whom look to us for guidance, education, and advice on how to do business better. It’s a responsibility that we don’t take lightly, and the person in this role will have a significant say in the type of content that we deliver to our members and event attendees.
Please send materials that you believe demonstrate your skill-set and personality and that will convince us you’re the right person for this position to Jobs@consciouscomag.com with subject line “Editorial Director Applicant”
Conscious Company Media is seeking editorial interns to help with all aspects of producing our bimonthly print and daily digital magazine about business as a force for good.
As an editorial intern, you’ll work closely with our editorial director to write, report, edit, and post content about social entrepreneurship, workplace culture, sustainable business, mission-driven and triple-bottom-line best practices, and business as a force for good. You’ll also attend all editorial team meetings and be an integral part of our content planning and production process.
Conscious Company is a small startup with a remote team, so you’ll get experience working in that environment. You’ll complete some of your work independently on your own schedule, and also spend time 1-2 days per week with our editorial team at the Impact Hub in downtown Boulder.
We’re committed to making internships with Conscious Company fulfilling and educational for our interns, so there will be room for you to create and pursue specific projects that relate to your areas of interest and expertise.
- Demonstrated interest in writing, reporting, journalism, and research
- Excellent writing skills
- Demonstrated interest in sustainability, social justice, social change, and/or human rights
- Demonstrated interest in sustainable business
- Available to work with our team at the Impact Hub in Boulder at least one day per week
- High attention to detail
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Can receive academic credit for your internship
While we’re open to considering qualified first- or second-year students, most successful applicants we’ve worked with are juniors, seniors, or graduate students.
10-20 hours a week, with flexible schedule and opportunities to work both remotely and with our team
This is currently an UNPAID position
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and writing sample at the following link: https://consciouscompany.submittable.com/submit/81615/apply-for-an-internship-with-conscious-company