Conscious Company is dedicated to convening a healthy, mindful, inclusive, and supportive community. In order to achieve this goal, we welcome all business leaders and their allies to contribute and pledge to foster an atmosphere of kindness, cooperation, and understanding.
We love this poem by Micky ScottBey Jones, which captures the spirit of the communities we seek to create, both online and off.
By Micky ScottBey Jones
Together we will create brave space.
Because there is no such thing as a “safe space,”
We exist in the real world.
We all carry scars and we have all caused wounds.
In this space
We seek to turn down the volume of the outside world,
We amplify voices that fight to be heard elsewhere,
We call each other to more truth and love
We have the right to start somewhere and continue to grow.
We have the responsibility to examine what we think we know.
We will not be perfect.
This space will not be perfect.
It will not always be what we wish it to be.
It will be our brave space together,
We will work on it side by side.
Within this brave space, we are committed to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
Toward a Welcoming and Safe Environment
We hope to create an environment in which diverse individuals can collaborate and interact in a positive and affirming way. Examples of behavior that contributes to creating this sort of environment include:
- Using welcoming and inclusive language
- Being respectful of differing viewpoints and experiences
- Taking 100 percent responsibility for our own experiences
- Gracefully accepting constructive criticism
- Focusing on what is best for the overall community
- Showing empathy towards other community members
- Remaining mindful of our mission to redefine success in business in service of all life.
- Remaining mindful of our vision that all business will be conscious business by 2030, and thus the success of our partners and allies is, in fact, our own success.
Applicability and Scope
This code of conduct applies to all of this community’s spaces, including public channels, private channels, and direct messages, both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or removed from these spaces at the discretion of the administrators.
This community will not tolerate harassment of any kind. Examples of harassment include:
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, pregnancy status, veteran status, political affiliation, marital status, body size, age, race, national origin, ethnic origin, nationality, immigration status, language, religion or lack thereof, or other identity marker. This includes anti-Indigenous/Nativeness and anti-Blackness.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, relationships, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering, using inappropriate pronouns, or use of “dead” or rejected names.
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behavior in spaces where they’re not appropriate.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual or group, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following — online or in the physical world.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Sustained disruption of discussion.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Patterns of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
- Jokes that resemble the above, such as “hipster racism”, still count as harassment even if meant satirically or ironically.
If you have questions or concerns about these issues please feel free to message an admin or ask for an opportunity to explore the issue with a moderator and volunteers.
If you are being harassed by a member of our community, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact the administrators by emailing email@example.com. If the person who is harassing you is on the admin team, they will not be involved in handling or resolving the incident.
The admin team will respond to any complaints as promptly as we possibly we can. If you do not get a timely response (for example, if no admins are currently online) then please put your personal safety and wellbeing first, and consider logging out.
This code of conduct applies to our community’s spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of our community outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by our members, especially the administrators, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from the community based on their past behavior, including behavior outside of our spaces and behavior towards people who are not in this community.
In order to protect our team from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
Every code of conduct violation report will be treated with seriousness and care. If a member’s immediate safety and security is threatened, an individual admin may take any action that they deem appropriate, up to and including temporarily banning the offender from the community. In less urgent situations, at least two admins will discuss the offense and mutually arrive at a suitable response, which will be shared with the offender privately. Whatever the resolution that they decide upon, the decision of the admins involved in a violation case will be considered final.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of our members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the administrators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from the community and identification of the participant as a harasser to other members. At the discretion of the admins, or by request, one or more of the parties involved may request to discuss the violation and how to avoid similar situations in the future.
This Code of Conduct is adapted from the Community Covenant (http://community-covenant.net), version 1.0, available at http://community-covenant.net/version/1/0/. The Community Covenant is an open source effort and is built on codes of conduct that came before it, including the Contributor Covenant and the LGBTQ in Tech community code of conduct. The code also includes inspiration from the Naturally Boulder Code of Ethics
Community Covenant by Coraline Ada Ehmke is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. Based on a work at http://community-covenant.net/.